Skip to main content

Need a Change?




Have you ever been in a situation where you wanted to just step out of your comfort zone and venture into new things to make you feel more fulfilled in life? Are you fed up with the work or industry that you've been in for the past few years and just wonder how it would be outside the world that you've been entrapped?

Well I am! For the past 8 years I have been working in the same industry that has got me to places and situations that I have never imagined that I'd even encounter growing up.

It's both a good and a bad thing and it's more on the good but I have grown tired of the usual routine.

Waking up in the morning (Or at night if I'm on a graveyard shift), do your rituals, get a cab, report to work, do the usual tasks on you daily checklist and feel exhausted after 8 to 10 hours of work. Eat breakfast, browse the net or play online games, listen to music until you fall as sleep and repeat.

It has been a cycle for the past few years and It's no longer healthy. I had to do something!

For the past few weeks I have been searching for options and new career paths that I might love until the rest of my life. I want to have a new career that would involve my passion and hobby at the same time. I want to showcase my skills and put myself in a challenging situation wherein I have work and let me earn what I deserve.

I would like to share my top 3 picks to date. I have done my research from googling, following and asking people who works in these fields and asking how they're able to manager it and how they started and what made them contented with the job.

1. Online English Tutor - Having been a part of the Learning Department. I have developed a love for Training, Teaching or Transferring new skills to learners in all ages. I have not been the best student but somehow, I was able to be in this kind of job that I get to prepare future front liners. Teaching about the account's Products and Services, Coaching them how to speak and comprehend accordingly but will it be the same case if I apply as an Online English Tutor?

Here in the Philippines, English Tutors are in demand. Online English Schools here and there. You get to teach Koreans, Japanese and other Asian races Virtually or in person and you get a generous amount of money in exchange for your knowledge transfer skills.

According to Wikipedia. The live Online tutoring started back in the 90s. NetTutor has pioneered Live Online Tutoring services in 1996 and it has been popularized by the Live online tutoring platform tutor.com in the US 2 years after. However, due to the still developing internet connection, It was a big challenge for the online platform to perform what was necessary including the lack of proper audio and video communication median. Most of the people had to find individuals that has the right skills for a face to face tutorial sessions. In the early 2000s when multimedia and communication equipment as internet speed was on a more comfortable and reliable speed and performance. The interest and business grew and became in demand in some parts of the world.

Today, With current technology and increasing Internet penetration in the developing world, there is a renewed interest in live offerings as exemplified by Chegg's recent acquisition of InstaEDU for $30 million.

So now let's talk about the most discussed Online English Tutorial Company, 51 Talk.

According to their 51talk.com.ph, The company is China and Philippines based and began their teaching ventures as a small account providing Nihonggo classes for the Chinese. Huang JiaJia grabbed the chance to create equal learning opportunities for everybody. His proposition for teaching English instead was met with great interest, and it wasn’t long before investors saw significant potential. It was an overwhelming surprise when, shortly after the launch of 51Talk, thousands of students enrolled.

Today, employees from all over the world get's the chance to become one of the best and friendly teachers to Japanese and Chinese kids. All employees are provided which sufficient knowledge and materials to teach their students in the best and most interactive was possible.

I have seen a demo once and it's great. They get to really interact and teach their student like they would if they're pre-school to elementary teachers. All the tools are provided to newly hired employees and of course, one of it is the tutorials mode of communication, Skype.

The pay is generous and you get to be in the comfort of your on home or wherever location just as long as you have the suitable equipment and internet speed requirement and oh, I quiet place.

2. Virtual Assistant - No, I don't mean the Artificial Intelligence VA like Siri or Cortana. I have been very curious and interested with this job for years. I have a few friends who's actually successful and happy with this job and again, they can be anywhere they are just as long as they have the right equipment and stable internet.

So let's talk more about Virtual Assistants.

According to Wikipedia.  is generally self-employed and provides professional administrative, technical, or creative (social) assistance to clients remotely from a home office. Because virtual assistants are independent contractors rather than employees, clients are not responsible for any employee-related taxes, insurance or benefits, except in the context that those indirect expenses are included in the VA's fees. Clients also avoid the logistical problem of providing extra office space, equipment or supplies. Clients pay for 100% productive work, and can work with Virtual Assistants, individually, or in multi-VA firms to meet their exact needs. Virtual Assistants usually work for other small businesses. but can also support busy executives.

Luckily for millennials, being a VA is not limited to typical office tasks only. Aside from email management there are clients who's actually looking for VAs for Social Media and blog management or enhancements. Personally, this is what struck my interest to become a VA. Just like what I've mentioned earlier, I'd rather move to a career that would showcase my skills and hobbies at the same time.

The catch - You need to be patient! Being a VA is not an overnight application. You need to search and bid for client's projects. If you're lucky, you'll get to have responses ASAP but sometimes, you don't get a response at all so patience is really required for this job. It's not bad at all, You just need to make sure that you learn how a VA functions and once ready, you just need to learn where to look for you potential clients for you to start bidding for their projects.

Here are the top sites for Virtual Assistants:

www.freelancer.ph/assistant
ph.jora.com/assistant+virtual
and the famous of all www.upwork.com

I won't sugar coat anything. It's going to be rough for beginners (Yes, I expect the worse)because first of all, there are over thousands of online freelancers in the whole world and second of all, you need to really work on capturing a possible client's trust which is not that challenging but of course, you need to look out for yourself as well.

I have read an article a week ago on Facebook. A newbie Online Freelancer was asked to create 5 articles but never received his pay. You see, everything will of course be transacted Virtually, you work Virtually, so you get paid Virtually (Usually through PayPal or PayMaya). The person inquired in one facebook online freelancer group and shared what happened. Most of the replies stated that whenever you accept a project, you need to make sure that you review if the user has a "Payment Verified" and also try viewing the Client's Profile as well.


I am definitely vying for this job especially the paths where I get to use my hidden talent, Social Media Surfing! It might take time but of course we all have to go through a bumpy road before we settle on a smooth pavement.

3. Networking/Online Business - I have already tried but I really didn't get the chance to pursue it because I was more focused on my stable job. Some would consider this a fallback but there are some Networking Businesses that actually gives back what you have invested in a short matter of time and it doesn't actually have to be expensive.

I'd like to share my personal experience. A few months ago, I've decided to join one of the Philippine's booming Networking/Business, Royale Business Club. Before some would laugh about the word "Networking" and that nobody became successful because of it.

Before I started with the business I actually did my own research, aside from the sales talk and presentations and of course the obvious testimonials from one of my friends, I have dug deeper from looking through their website royalebusinessclub.com to looking at social media testimonials.

When I decided to join the club. I already knew what I was getting myself in to. Weeks before joining I got the chance to actually listen to 2 talks. It was an enlightening talk because I got to actually see how to business was being ran and that you don't get rich over night, you really have to work hard like everybody else but with it, you get to have a faster return because there a lot of ways to earn (I'm not plugging it's just the right words :)). The last talk that I attended, that was the night that I got my products and paid off, I actually got the chance to listen to 6 or 7 Millionaires! All started from scratch. I've also met some who just became millionaires who were Cab Drivers and Nannies!

We all know how a networking works. We always need to have pairs or people below us. But what amazed me here is how our mentor showcased that we really need to have the skills and the charisma to actually make things work for this field. I will no longer share the details due to confidential matters but It really enlightened me. I mean I have a Sales Background but I didn't think that I lacked or may have overseen minor skills that's actually these people's secret to their success!

I am glad to say that the money that I spent for the business has already been returned with interest. I have also used the products myself and It is effective.

So I am pretty sure that given time and effort (and luck) This field is really worth reconsidering.

So these are my Top 3 Picks but what exactly is the common denominator?

All field requires PATIENCE because without it, it's not going to run the way it's supposed to.

It is hard to get out of something that you know or you think you've been doing great at for years but a good change can also be the right track.

I am expecting a lot of Challenges but I know, given time, just like any other new field of work. If I strive and be better everyday, I'll get to have that most rewarding moment of all.

A GREAT PAYCHECK!

Thanks for taking the time in reading this. In case your in the same situation as I am, please feel free to give me a PM so we can share insights! :)






























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute to my mentor

Summer of 2006... The season of IRC chatters... I had the weirdest thought that I would find the perfect partner in chatrooms like these... G4m was also very hot that year... (well I'm just saying that because that's the year I started chatting online^^) Anyway... I had this chat mate named "bratie" in one of the chatrooms and the usual .. we traded G4m accounts.. he asked for my stats and number and ofcourse...Friendster... We texted a lot even traded MMS several times... then April 21,2006 he made a text brigade for a grand EB with all his friends and text/chat mates at mo2 aquarium 9pm...  Everybody's there..the hot and the not was there but "bratie" he never cared..just as long as he makes lots of friends ... he's the kind of person that would not judge based on physical looks... And well it took us several months before the "close friend" declaration happened...  On that night.. I also met my all time crush... "dotty" he

 The Guy with the Blue Jeans Part 1

It was a cold winter night. Jasper decided to take a walk down the streets near his manor to unwind after a stressful week at the office. He was still thinking about how he got disappointed after the big presentation that made with the big boss and didn't even get a simple "good job". He's 29 and gay, living alone at a big manor with no pets nor a lover to be with. He started working at 16 when his parents died in a car crash. He has no relatives to rely on, so he worked and studied at the same time. He made sure that he gets through with college to secure a diploma with good grades to make his resume top others when he applies for a job. He got into an advertising company at 21, got promoted to an executive assistant at 22 and now he's the regional manager of Winter Dreams Advertising Inc. After a few blocks of walking and relaxing his mind, he decided to grab a bottle of beer at a club just a few blocks away from his manor. He stayed for a bit to