Skip to main content

Training and Development vs Operations Production





Training and Development vs Operations

Working in the BPO industry has its pros and cons. It's how you position yourself that makes everything work. I am fortunate enough to experience a lot in the corporate world in such a young age. Let me go ahead and share my journey:

Von as a Trainee:

2009 - I was accidenatally employed in one of the top growing BPO in iloilo. I told myself "why not, it's a decent job! I dont want to be a bum anymore". I never really excelled while in school so this is a new way for me to test my capabilities and intellect. I always topped our training assessments and call simulations. I didnt have any experience with customer service at all (My mom and dad worked for PLDT for 25 years and I never really asked how they performed im their jobs) all I had was my good communication and comprehension skills. After 2 months in training, I ranked #8 out of 565 trainees.

2011 Q1- After resigning from my previous company (after 2 years of stay) I applied for another center which had majority of my friends. I applied just "because". The training was for 2 month too but I kept my distance and didnt want to be a know it all. I was just at the middle doing my own business and answering what I can answer in our assessments. Without much effort I was still performing very well. I remembered after 2 weeks of language training. The trainer told me in confidence. "We need you in the department. You have a good future in the company so keep it up!" I really didnt mind all that. What I was thinking at that time is I just have to earn money. Product Specifics training came and a newly promoted Product Trainer was assigned to handle us. We were all tenured in the business and we had that tendency to "eat him up" on our first week, i was just observing him on how he can handle the rest of my peers which had steong personalities as mine. Every single day, I was beginning to pity him. His ego and pride was getting smaller to the point that our language trainer had to step in just to restrain us. The next day, I was called out by our language trainer and had me sit down and discuss a few things. "Von, I am very dissappointed in you" I was shocked! I mean why me? I was just silent and just waited for his next words "Everybody looks up to you in that group, even me. But why did you let your peers get the best out of ron?" On that exact moment, I let a a huge word vomit "he's incompetent!" ... "Excuse me?" I had been struggling for days and just kept in praying for me not to give my comment but my trainer just had to push me... "This is not school anymore sir and he cant just shove those manuals up our brains. We need training not teaching" After hearing what I said, my trainer gave me a huge smile. "Why sir? Why are you smiling? Arent you suppose to reprimand me for those harsh words?" ... "No von... Im happy with what you said... You're beginning to speak and think like a trainer". After 2 months and on our last day of training. I was still not doing what I do best. I failed the training on purpose scoring 0% on my final call audit. I was friends with supervisors up and this caught one of the Senior Operations Manager's attention. I was suppose to fail training but on that moment when the results were given, I heard her say "We can't afford to lose von" After an hour. I was advised that I got a 100% and that it was just an error. Politics in the BPO industry at its best but i still accepted it. I ranked #10 out of 50 trainees

2011 Q3 -

After 2 months of rest. I decided to get my act together and applied for another center. This time. I showed everybody what I'm made of. The people that I'm with was more aggressive with the end of training ranking since it was a pilot account which will make or break the company. I was on top of things that time. Scoring the highest in our batch for assessments and call audits. Then the end of training came. They advised us that for us to get a good - decent schedule. We need to be part of the top rank. A few hours before the results were posted. A friend texted me. He already saw the ranking through a sup friend. "Friend... Im afraid that I might not get my desired shift.... I only ranked #26 out of 150 trainees (he said this in a very sarcastic tone) ..."5Oh I see friend... Good for you.. You'll surely get the schedule that you want." After a few hours I got in the office. I was not excited to see the ranks at all.. I still had the "come what may" perspective. Just a few meters away from the rank board. People were already excited to greet me "congrats von!!!" I saw the rankings and just smiled. I needed to see my #26 ranked friend. In the smoking area. "Friend I saw my rank already" "really friend? Me I got a good schedule. Since im number 26. I got my third choice! Its okay friend. You'll get used to your schedule. Did you atleast get your 5th choice?" ... "No friend" ... "Oh shucks! We only have until 6 choices right?" ... "Yea friend, since I ranked #2 I get to have my 1st choice! Good bye now!" (Walk out! Lol)

Von as an Agent:

2009 -

I was just new to the industry and was carefree but at the same time wanted to prove something. I was able to stay for 2 years and 4 months. I learned a lot from my first supervisor. Mentoring, coaching he had it all and I was able to adapt it. After a few months with him, we had to be transferred since there was a new account and we were not part of it yet. I was tranaferred to a lazy supervisor and expected a lot from me since I came from a top team and sup. Too lazy that I was already doing 1/4 of his job. At first I was irritated but at the latter part I realized that by getting these experiences. I might have a future as a leader too but I just didnt take how he mistreats us so I had to leave the company.

2011 Q2 -

I was assigned to a newly promted sup. at first he was this nice supervisor but after a month, he showed his true colors. He was the most disgusting and unprofessional leader I have ever encountered. The meanest thing he did to me was rudely grabbing my headset off because he wanted to show me how to speak with my customer. I just took my headset back and told him that "You cant even speak straight and good english! How dare you say that to me! - Mr Customer, did you just hear that conversation? Do you want to speak to an unprofessional and englis challenged supervisor or just stick with me? A calm and an understadable representative?" He walked out and the customer agreed to talk with me only. After a few hours, I was advised to logout and proceed to the managers office. At first my manager talked to me with him in front of me. I told the manager everything good and bad about him and right then and there. I was shocked with the manager's reply "Von, you're just a month away from being regularized and I have been observing your stats and competency level. Both you and your supervisor's regularization date is the same. I am certain that you are more fit for the role." We're both speechless and my sup was bot able to control his emotions. "I earned this after working hard for 2 years and you'll just give it to an agent for 6 months? That's unfair!" ... "With the way you reacted. You're definitely not fit to be where you are!" ... I had to say something "please stop. Just expect my resignation an hour from now." (Walkout) I was not able to handle what was offered to me and what I just heard. I had to leave. I left after 5 months.

2011 Q3 -

I was assigned to one of the kindest tls I knew (I spoke too soon lol) Yes she was very kind. A mommy, very caring towarda all of us but we needed a leader, not a mother. My peers and I were jusy helping hand and hand with no support everyday for 3 months because she's either sick/absent or late. I really learned on my own. I was really performing well and with great company so i didnt get bored at all. 3 months after i hot transferred to my team. The company opened an assistance trainer position. I really didnt care that time and never applied for it. A week after it was posted. I received an email invite for an interview. Got quite upset because I didnt even apply. Then my sup explained that she forwarded a recommendation which includes me and 2 of my best pals in the group. After the initial interview and final interview. I still continued my life as an rep for 2 weeks then received the news. After 4 months in the company, I was the first assistant trainer to handle a new hire class in our batch. I took in calls for 3 months only.

- After 4 months of being an assistant trainer I was promoted again to Trainer
- After 2 years of being a Trainer shadowing and doing a Training Supervisor and Training Manager's tasks, I was promoted in to an Operations Supervisor.

________________________________________

The reason why Im sharing this right now is to also weigh things. When and where was I really happy? When and where did I really excel? While I was in operations or when I was in training and development?

It's been 3 months since I got promoted in my current position but I have yet to adjust with the kind of pressure Im facing every hour of the shift. I have lots of deliverables to do but I feel unproductive. There was even a time when one of my peers in training sought help from me. I grabbed and finished it for 30 minutes.

I know I asked for this position. But you can only perform well in your position if you're happy and motivated by it right?

I have yet to find the answer to my dilemma. I miss being a trainer but Im getting yhe hang of being an Operation Sup.

For now. I'm already taking action. Maybe looking for new options. I'm not happy with what I'm doing but I'm still giving it some time.

I hope all is well.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute to my mentor

Summer of 2006... The season of IRC chatters... I had the weirdest thought that I would find the perfect partner in chatrooms like these... G4m was also very hot that year... (well I'm just saying that because that's the year I started chatting online^^) Anyway... I had this chat mate named "bratie" in one of the chatrooms and the usual .. we traded G4m accounts.. he asked for my stats and number and ofcourse...Friendster... We texted a lot even traded MMS several times... then April 21,2006 he made a text brigade for a grand EB with all his friends and text/chat mates at mo2 aquarium 9pm...  Everybody's there..the hot and the not was there but "bratie" he never cared..just as long as he makes lots of friends ... he's the kind of person that would not judge based on physical looks... And well it took us several months before the "close friend" declaration happened...  On that night.. I also met my all time crush... "dotty" he

 The Guy with the Blue Jeans Part 1

It was a cold winter night. Jasper decided to take a walk down the streets near his manor to unwind after a stressful week at the office. He was still thinking about how he got disappointed after the big presentation that made with the big boss and didn't even get a simple "good job". He's 29 and gay, living alone at a big manor with no pets nor a lover to be with. He started working at 16 when his parents died in a car crash. He has no relatives to rely on, so he worked and studied at the same time. He made sure that he gets through with college to secure a diploma with good grades to make his resume top others when he applies for a job. He got into an advertising company at 21, got promoted to an executive assistant at 22 and now he's the regional manager of Winter Dreams Advertising Inc. After a few blocks of walking and relaxing his mind, he decided to grab a bottle of beer at a club just a few blocks away from his manor. He stayed for a bit to

Need a Change?

Have you ever been in a situation where you wanted to just step out of your comfort zone and venture into new things to make you feel more fulfilled in life? Are you fed up with the work or industry that you've been in for the past few years and just wonder how it would be outside the world that you've been entrapped? Well I am! For the past 8 years I have been working in the same industry that has got me to places and situations that I have never imagined that I'd even encounter growing up. It's both a good and a bad thing and it's more on the good but I have grown tired of the usual routine. Waking up in the morning (Or at night if I'm on a graveyard shift), do your rituals, get a cab, report to work, do the usual tasks on you daily checklist and feel exhausted after 8 to 10 hours of work. Eat breakfast, browse the net or play online games, listen to music until you fall as sleep and repeat. It has been a cycle for the past few years and It's